[Ads-l] 21st-Century Advertising Slogans

Mon Aug 6 08:16:07 UTC 2018

Back in 2012 JL mentioned two parody slogans/titles that appeared in
the 2006 movie "Idiocracy". Screenplay by Mike Judge and Etan Cohen.
These are not really advertising slogans, but that category may
provide the best fit for these satirical expressions.

[Begin excerpt from JL's message]
The chillingly premonitory film _Idiocracy_ (2006) features in the
all-too-near future, "Big-Ass Soda!" in vending machines, along with TV
shows like "Ow! My Balls!"

According to the narrator's introduction:

"The years passed, mankind became stupider at a frightening rate. Some had
high hopes that genetic engineering would correct this trend in evolution,
but sadly the greatest minds and resources were focused on conquering hair
loss and prolonging erections."
[End excerpt from JL's message]

Here is a movie clip illustrating "Ow! My Balls!" although you may
wish to avoid it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAg1r6zw7Bg

Link to JL's message
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2012-May/119589.html