CJ loans *into* NW native languages

Tue Feb 16 04:36:08 UTC 1999

Hello,

The course of our discussions has led me to another project.  I've begun
making lists of the Chinuk Wawa words (and other alien lexemes) which made
their way into indigenous languages of the Northwest.

The first thing that I notice with the list I've made for Secwepemctsin
(Shuswap Salish) is that it contains almost nothing but words that were
used in the Chinook Jargon of the  _Kamlups Wawa_  newspaper!

This fact is quite apparent because (a) "KW" used many idiosyncratic
words, quite a lot of which English donated, and (b) Secwepemctsin was the
main language of the Kamloops, BC region.

There is a good opportunity here for insight into how the indigenous
people of that place pronounced CJ.

By the way, there are some words in the list I've compiled that probably
came into Shuswap from non-CJ sources, though perhaps from CJ-speaking
people.  (Does that make sense to you?)  For example, s-lplot-m (I'm not
referring to my notes now but the word is more or less like this):  "a
baseball-like game", from French "la pelot(t)e".  The native s- prefix and
-m verbal suffix have been added, indicating in this case that the word's
become very much a part of Secwepemctsin.

More later, as my time is limited at the moment.

Good evening!

Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html