CJ Christmas Songs

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Mon Oct 31 09:46:32 UTC 2005

This is a proof that I looked very superficially into the texts.
But now I'll try to translate that verse (I'm not the most qualified, just as an exercise...)

Ok san iaka chako tanas, - Today he was born, (chaku tanas = to be born)
Kopa Noel san nsaika wawa, - On Christmas day we say,
Ok san iaka chako tanas - [That] Today he was born.
Sitkom polakle chako iaka. - At midnight he came.
Lesash SaHali telikom chako - The angels (lesah [from French: les anges] and saHali telikom "people above" mean the same thing: angels) are coming
Nanich pi atole tlaska Tai: - To see and adore their Lord:
Lesash SaHali telikom chako, - The angels are coming,
Tlaska wawa Lepashe: mamuk kakwa. - They say [to] the Shepherds: do the same.

Wik na kEmtEks pus Lush ukuk ikta namunk ts'Em.

Francisc

hzenk at pdx.edu wrote:
Verse 2 of hymn VIII (p. 46) in Demers, Blanchet, St. Onge's Chinook Dictionary,
Catechism, Prayers and Hymns specifically concerns the Nativity. It is sung to
the air of "Loin de Jesus que j'aime, &", whatever that is. Here's the verse,
minus the original's diacritics (but H for the original's "h" with the right
leg lopped off, standing for x or back-x in Americanist alphabets like that
used for Makah). Anyone up for another translation exercise?

Ok san iaka chako tanas,
Kopa Noel san nsaika wawa,
Ok san iaka chako tanas
Sitkom polakle chako iaka.
Lesash SaHali telikom chako
Nanich pi atole tlaska Tai:
Lesash SaHali telikom chako,
Tlaska wawa Lepashe: mamuk kakwa.

(Hints: atole 'adore', Lepashe 'shephard', Leshash 'angel'.) Henry

Quoting Francisc Czobor :