[Lexicog] Morphological glossing of Cheyenne idiom?

David Frank david_frank at SIL.ORG
Mon Mar 19 22:37:36 UTC 2007

Joseph --

Thank you for adding the interesting Jamaican Creole examples, where illnesses or problems are personified. I have a question for you.

You gloss "a" in the Jamaican as COP, which I take to mean the copula. Is that not the same form as the progressive apect marker, and can't it go before an active verb? Couldn't Jamaican a kil be analyzed as 'PROG kill'?

-- David Frank

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Joseph Farquharson
  To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, March 19, 2007 5:10 PM
  Subject: Re: [Lexicog] Morphological glossing of Cheyenne idiom?

  Not Cheyenne, but for what it is worth you might want to know that in Jamaican Creole to express extreme cases of  illnesses and other thing affecting the human body you can personify the illness/problem:

  Di fluu lik/nak mi dong (DET flu lick/knock me down)

  Di fiiva lik mi dong (DET fever lick me down)

  Hongri a kil mi. (hunger COP kill me)

  Pien a bos mi shot (pain COP burst my shirt)

  And if it is any consolation to those who fear personified illnesses, you can also say:

  Haspital pik im op (hospital pick him up)

  But this is a situation that you would rather avoid

  Joseph

  CURRENT MAILING ADDRESS

  Joseph T. Farquharson, BA Hon. (UWI), M.Phil. (Cantab.)
  Department of Linguistics
  Deutscher Platz 6,
  D-04103, Leipzig
  Germany

  tel ++49- (0) 341-3550-326
  fax ++49- (0) 341-3550-333
  e-mail: farquharson at eva.mpg.de

  AFFILIATION

  Ph.D. candidate
  Department of Language, Linguistics & Philosophy
  University of the West Indies
  Mona campus, Kingston 7
  Jamaica

  tel 1-876-970-2950