accusative + analytical DO markers

Sergey Lyosov sergelyosov at INBOX.RU
Sat May 25 19:20:25 UTC 2013

Dear Ewa,
thanks a lot!
 Your Polish example is as follows:

-           zaatakować   ‘attack, assault’ + NPACC
-           napaść   ‘attack, assault’ + preposition   na   with a NPACC (a grammaticalized allative construction).
The cognate Russian verbs have the same government:
atakovat' ‘attack, assault’ + NPACC
napast'  ‘attack, assault’ + preposition   na   with a NPACC

Our colleague Scott T. Shell suggests me (within this thread) a similar example from
German:

Den            Mann    habe    ich                gesehen.
DEF.ACC  man      AUX   1SG.NOM   saw
'I say the man.'

Ich                 gehe   durch     den               Gang
1SG.NOM    go       through  DEF.ACC    hallway
'I go through the hallway.'
  Yet neither Polish/Russian  na nor German durch are Direct Object Markers pure and simple, they both retain their meanings as lative/locative prepositions. What I am looking for is a “pure” and (under certain conditions) obligatory Direct Object Marker (like `et in Hebrew) which synchronically has no other (more concrete) meanings. I wonder if this kind of DOM is at all compatible with ACC (which would amount to double marking of the Direct Object).
I will address your Coptic example in the next email.
  All best,
  Sergey

Суббота, 25 мая 2013, 16:37 UTC от "Zakrzewska, E.D." <E.D.Zakrzewska at uva.nl>:
>Dear Sergey,
>
>A good example is Polish, compare:
>-          zaatakować ‘attack, assault’ + NPACC
>-          napaść ‘attack, assault’ + preposition na  with a NPACC (a grammaticalized allative construction).
>
>Another example may be Coptic (Afroasiatic, the final stage of Ancient Egyptian). In Coptic there are two strategies
 to mark the direct object: head-marking and dependent-marking. Head-marking involves the use of the so-called construct or pronominal state allomorph of the verb to which a nominal, respectively pronominal direct object is attached.
 When the verb appears in the absolute state allomorph,  dependent-marking of the object by means of a preposition is required.
 Several prepositions can occur in this function, of which  n- (dedicated preposition) and e- (grammaticalization of the allative) are most important.
>Basic information about Coptic grammar can be found in Reintges C.H., Coptic Egyptian (Sahidic dialect): a learner's grammar ,  Köln: Köppe, 2004. I’m currently working on a comprehensive article on transitivity in Coptic, to
 be published in the  Proceedings of the 10th International Congress of Coptic Studies in Rome and I can send you a copy soon.