[Lingtyp] uses of first plural exclusive pronouns

Alex Francois francois at vjf.cnrs.fr
Tue Jun 23 14:26:45 UTC 2015

dear Zach, dear Kilu,

Two general references about that sort of pronominal syncretism would be:

   - Baerman, Matthew, Dunstan Brown, and Greville G. Corbett.
* ​​The syntax-morphology interface: A study of syncretism*. Vol. 109.
   Cambridge University Press, 2005.
   - Cysouw, Michael (2005). Syncretisms involving clusivity. In Elena
   Filimonova (ed.), *Clusivity: Typology and case studies of the
   inclusive–exclusive distinction, *73–111. New York: Benjamins.

The pattern Kilu mentioned cannot be found in northern Vanuatu languages;
 but I came across it as I did fieldwork in the Solomons.  Indeed, the 3
languages spoken on Vanikoro (Oceanic, Temotu) show a regular pattern in
their subject-indexing prefixes  (S/A):

   - *1exc:du *is collapsed with *2du*, and *1exc:pl *with *2pl*
   - *1inc:du *is collapsed with *3du*, and *1inc:pl* with *3pl*

The facts themselves are briefly mentioned in a paper

François, Alexandre. 2009. The languages of Vanikoro: Three lexicons and
one grammar. In Bethwyn Evans (ed). *Discovering history through language:
Papers in honour of Malcolm Ross*. Pacific Linguistics 605. Canberra:
Australian National University. Pp.103-126.  [online
<https://www.academia.edu/848677/The_languages_of_Vanikoro_Three_lexicons_and_one_grammar>
]

As for the interpretation, it was the object of a conference presentation:

François, Alexandre. 2014. Person syncretism and impersonal reference in
Vanikoro languages. Paper read at 6th ed. of *Syntax of the World's
Languages* (SWL6), Universitá di Pavia, Sept 2014.  [online
<https://www.academia.edu/8349394/Person_syncretism_and_impersonal_reference_in_Vanikoro_languages>
]

In that talk, I proposed two terms to label the language-specific
categories defined by these mergers:

   - "dislocutive"  {1exc, 2}:  a group in which Speaker and Addressee
   behave differently
   - "collocutive"  {1inc, 3}:   a group in which Speaker and Addressee
   behave identically

Considered separately, each of these two patterns of syncretism is also
attested in a few other languages in the world;
but I haven't found any other language that combines the two syncretisms in
such a neat and regular system as on Vanikoro.

best,
Alex
_________
Alex François
LACITO-CNRS <http://lacito.vjf.cnrs.fr/membres/francois.htm>, France
Australian National University
<https://researchers.anu.edu.au/researchers/francois-a>, Canberra
Personal homepage <http://alex.francois.free.fr>
__________________

​
​
​
2015-06-23
​
"Sandra Auderset" <sandrauderset at gmail.com>
​:​

> Dear Kilu,
>

> This is also found elsewhere in the world, although in agreement forms and
> not in pronouns:
> - in Banjal (Central Atlantic; Senegal): 1PL.EXCL = 2PL (agreement with
> S/A)
> - in Udihe (Tungusic, Russia): 1PL.EXCL = 2PL (agreement with S/A)
>

> However, there is at least one language that collapses first person
> inclusive with second person in agreement (might helpful for theoretical
> considerations):
> - Cubeo (Tucanoan; Colombia):   1PL.INCL = 2 (agreement with S/A;
> concernces only one of several sets of forms)
>
> Best,
> Sandra

​

​​