[Lingtyp] Cross-linguistic studies on metaphors

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Sat Jul 23 10:24:13 UTC 2016

Masha,

The following paper examines synaesthetic metaphors in Indonesian (with
both corpus and experimental studies), showing that they are subject to
the same directionality principles that have been proposed on the basis
of familiar European languages.

David

http://www.tau.ac.il/~yshen/publications/Sweet%20fragrances%20from%20Indonesia.pdf

On 22/07/2016 22:37, Maria Koptjevskaja Tamm wrote:
> Dear friends and colleagues,
> I am working on a paper for which I would like to / need to give a
> survey of serious cross-linguistic studies that test some of the
> suggested conceptual metaphors. What interests me is systematicity in
> testing and/or counter-evidence against the allegedly universal
> connections. Some of the things that spring to my mind are Martin
> Haspelmath’s 1997 book “From space to time”, a series of studies on
> the connection between perception and cognition (primarily, Evans /
> Wilkins and Vanhove contesting Sweetser’s generalizations on “Seeing
> as understanding"), and Stolz/Stroh/Urdzeon “Instruments as companions”.
>
> I would be extremely grateful for any other directions / studies along
> similar lines.
>
> Warmest regards,
> Maria / Masha Koptjevskaja Tamm
>
> Prof. Maria Koptjevskaja Tamm
> Dept. of linguistics, Stockholm University
> 106 91 Stockholm Sweden
> E-mail: tamm at ling.su.se <mailto:tamm at ling.su.se>
> Tel.: +46 8 16 26 20 (office), +46 8 26 90 91
> http://www.ling.su.se/tamm

David Gil

Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History
Kahlaische Strasse 10, 07745 Jena, Germany

Email: gil at shh.mpg.de
Office Phone (Germany): +49-3641686834
Mobile Phone (Indonesia): +62-82238009215