[Lingtyp] Verbs of success with dative subject

Jussi Ylikoski jussi.ylikoski at oulu.fi
Wed Jan 2 22:32:56 UTC 2019

Dear all,

Here is a non-IE example from North Saami (Uralic), disregarding the probable influence from its Scandinavian neighbors. ILL stands for the illative, the case for Direction and Recipient, which could be (and earlier has been) labeled "dative" as well:

Midjiide/Johanii   lihkostuvai     buot.

1PL.ILL/Johan.ILL  succeed.PST.3SG all

'We/Johan succeeded in everything.'

(cf. Norwegian Alt lykkes for oss/Johan.)

Unlike in Scandinavian, a dummy subject usually does not occur:

Midjiide/Johanii   ii      lihkostuvvan     oažžut  oktavuođa   duinna.

1PL.ILL/Johan.ILL  NEG.3SG succeed.PST.PTCP get.INF contact.ACC 2SG.ACC

'We/Johan didn't succeed in contacting you.'

(cf. Norwegian Det lyktes ikke for oss/Johan å ta kontakt med deg.)

Best regards,

Jussi