[Lingtyp] Cases of loss of goal markers

Greville Corbett g.corbett at surrey.ac.uk
Fri Jan 11 22:53:10 UTC 2019

Dear Ponrawee,

There are several examples in:
Thomas Stolz, Nataliya Levkovych and Aina Urdze. 2017. When zero is just enough … In support of a Special Toponymic Grammar in Maltese. Folia Linguistica 51(2): 453–482
Here’s the abstract
This study provides evidence in favor of a Special Toponymic Grammar by discussing instances of zero-marking of spatial relations in selected languages, with special focus on Maltese. It is shown that zero-marking is often a privilege of toponyms, which sets them apart from common nouns. Special attention is paid to the differential behavior of sub-classes of toponyms and their (dis)similarity to common nouns. The most appropriate way of capturing the observed structural variation within and across languages is that of the continuum.

Best
Greville Corbett