[Lingtyp] addressing the daughter as Mummy

Faruk Akkuş farukboun at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 14:22:02 UTC 2020

Dear Sergey,

As Alan noted, this usage is attested in Arabic and Turkish; in fact,
different Arabic varieties make use of this usage in different ways, some
of which I list below.

Holes (1986, attached below) discusses a version which is used for
solidarity reference.
Mohammad (2014, also attached) looks at terms of endearment in Levantine
Arabic, which he calls "God-wishes".
My work
<https://cpb-us-w2.wpmucdn.com/web.sas.upenn.edu/dist/4/121/files/2020/09/glossa_mutable.pdf>
with Virginia Hill, which is to appear in *Glossa*, investigates this
construction in my variety of Arabic, Sason Arabic, in which the referents
of both the speaker and the addressee are expressed.

I also had a presentation
<https://cpb-us-w2.wpmucdn.com/web.sas.upenn.edu/dist/4/121/files/2020/09/WAFL12.pdf>
on the Turkish usage in WAFL 12. Leaving the technicalities aside, there I
showed that it is used in the context of an "affection"
relationship between the speaker and the addressee. I also mention Virginia
Hill's work on Romanian here.

For Zazaki, at least in my variety spoken in a few villages of Bitlis,
southeastern Turkey, it is similar to what Geoffrey Haig said about Kurdish
in a previous post, in that there needs to be a gender match.

Best wishes,
Faruk

Alan Rumsey <Alan.Rumsey at anu.edu.au>, 9 Eyl 2020 Çar, 09:36 tarihinde şunu