[Lingtyp] terminological question about local cases/adpositions

Jess Tauber tetrahedralpt at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 15:54:44 UTC 2021

Yahgan (genetic isolate, Tierra del Fuego, now critically endangered (1
elderly speaker remaining) had a system of spatial/locational terms that I
hadn't thought of as case-like until reading the earlier posts here. i:la
'position outside/southward', i:lu: 'direction outside/southward'; inna
'position up/westward'., i:nu: 'direction up/westward'; i:ta 'position
eastward/down', i:tu: 'direction east/down', and so on. These roots can
then be extensively derived and also incorporate nominal elements following
the.  root. But normal object case forms are suffixed to the referent,
including simple locative -n, ablative -(n)daul(um) and allative -u:pai. So
was this larger geographically-based system a case system in development at
the time of European contact, or something else? A separate system using
non-cognate morphemes was prefixed to verbs to indicate direction.

Jess Tauber