[Lingtyp] terminological question about intransitive verbs

Carl Whitehead carlrwhitehead at gmail.com
Wed May 12 14:02:31 UTC 2021

Isn't this another case of 'either/or' being an oversimplification? In the
sentences 'I moved to London' and 'He committed suicide' the subject is both
actor and undergoer. With the verb 'run' is the actor not affected? I
suggest that in many, if not most or all, cases there are elements of both
but to varying degrees. In a language like Menya (Papuan) that treats the
single argument of 'run' and 'die' the same but that of 'be sick' and 'like'
differently, is there not a recognition of a degree of 'doing something'
that is present in the one who dies but not in the one who is sick? The
single argument of verbs like 'commit suicide' and 'move' (and perhaps even
'run') there is a high degree of both actorhood and undergoerhood whereas
for the single argument of 'die' there is a low degree of actorhood but high
of undergoerhood, but nevertheless still a degree of each which languages
will code differently.

Carl