[Lingtyp] terminological question about intransitive verbs

Christian Lehmann christian.lehmann at uni-erfurt.de
Wed May 12 14:16:09 UTC 2021

There is doubtless more than one way by which the semantic role of the
single or central argument of an intransitive predicate could be
differentiated. And different languages choose their criteria in
grammaticalizing such a distinction in structural valency (to the extent
that such structural features are semantically motivated). Thus, a
subdivision by the criterion of agentivity may be relevant in the
grammar of one language, but not in another.

Among the other semantic distinctions that may prove relevant here is
the distinction between 'stative' and 'dynamic'. From the examples that
you give, it appears that this distinction may apply in Menya (not
wishing to deny thereby that the distinctions you have in mind could be
relevant, too).

E-Post: 	christianw_lehmann at arcor.de
Web: 	https://www.christianlehmann.eu