[Lingtyp] Someone whose father ...

Peter Austin pa2 at soas.ac.uk
Wed Feb 16 13:48:53 UTC 2022

Diyari, South Australia, is unlike the other Australian languages mentioned
so far in that there is no bereavement suffix but rather the following
bereavement lexical items and idioms:

kupa matyumatyu 'orphan when only the child's father is deceased'
kupa ngamathungka 'orphan when only the mother is deceased'
kupa ngamurru 'orphan when both father and mother are deceased'

and derivatives like:

ngamururibana 'to make an orphan' (by killing the father, after the mother
has already died)

As well as idioms:

ngama kaldri 'bitter breast', i.e. a child that cannot drink at its
mother's breast, because she has died.
ngama karla 'empty breasts', i.e. a woman whose new-born child has died

mangawarru 'widow, woman whose husband has died' 'widower, man whose wife
has died'

karna karlapankarirna 'to suffer a bereavement'

karna warra 'half a man', i.e. man whose brother has died

Jiwarli, Western Australia has the following terms:

kungala 'man whose child has died'
kujarri 'woman whose child has died'

I hope this is of some use. Best wishes,

Peter