[Lingtyp] Someone whose father ...

Anvita Abbi anvitaabbi at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 18:47:25 UTC 2022

Dear Simone,
The Great Andamanese languages had a word for the person who has lost
his/her siblings. The word in one of the North Great Andamanese languages
called Sare had a word* r**ɔpuc* for this. Sare is extinct now.
Anvita Abbi

On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 11:00 AM Raffaele Simone <rsimone at os.uniroma3.it>
wrote:

> [...]
> kupa ngamathungka 'orphan when only the mother is deceased'
> kupa ngamurru 'orphan when both father and mother are deceased'
>
> and derivatives like:
>
> ngamururibana 'to make an orphan' (by killing the father, after the mother
> has already died)
>
> As well as idioms:
>
> ngama kaldri 'bitter breast', i.e. a child that cannot drink at its
> mother's breast, because she has died.
> ngama karla 'empty breasts', i.e. a woman whose new-born child has died
>
> mangawarru 'widow, woman whose husband has died' 'widower, man whose wife
> has died'
>
> karna karlapankarirna 'to suffer a bereavement'
>
> karna warra 'half a man', i.e. man whose brother has died
>
> Jiwarli, Western Australia has the following terms:
>
> kungala 'man whose child has died'
> kujarri 'woman whose child has died'
>
> I hope this is of some use. Best wishes,
>
> Peter
>

> On Wed, 16 Feb 2022 at 12:33, Claire Bowern <clairebowern at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Bardi (Nyulnyulan, NW Australia) also has a reasonably full set of
>> bereavement terms. There's a table on p47 of my 2012 grammar.
>>
>> Bowern. Claire (2012). *A Grammar of Bardi. *Mouton De Gruyter
>>
>> Claire
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 7:09 AM Raffaele Simone <rsimone at os.uniroma3.it>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot to you (and to
>>> everyone).
>>>
>>> Raffaele
>>>

>>> Il 16/02/2022 12:52, Jean-Christophe Verstraete ha scritto:
>>>
>>> Hi Raffaele,
>>>
>>> Following up on David Nash's message: see the following references for
>>> sets of bereavement terms in Umpila and Yintyingka (Paman < Pama-Nyungan),
>>> including the ones you are looking for. Hill (2018: 94) has further
>>> references to similar terms in the same region.
>>>
>>> Hill, Clair. 2018. Person reference and interaction in Umpila/Kuuku Ya'u
>>> narrative. PhD, Nijmegen & Leuven. p 94-95.
>>>
>>> <https://repository.ubn.ru.nl/handle/2066/199508>
>>> <https://repository.ubn.ru.nl/handle/2066/199508>
>>>
>>> Verstraete, JC & B Rigsby. 2015. A grammar and lexicon of Yintyingka.
>>> Berlin: Mouton. (See index 'bereavement terms')
>>>
>>> https://doi.org/10.1515/9781614519003
>>>
>>> Jean-Christophe
>>>
>>> On 2/16/2022 12:39 PM, Raffaele Simone wrote:
>>>
>>> My question was: do you know any language referring to* "someone whose
>>> child [brother, sister, etc.] has died" *with a specific lexical item
>>> (approx. correponding to widow and orphan)?
>>>
>>> RS
>>> Il 16/02/2022 11:42, Sebastian Nordhoff ha scritto:
>>>
>>> On 2/16/22 11:36, Adam James Ross Tallman wrote:
>>>
>>> Hey Simone,
>>>
>>> My first question is what does "Someone to whom a child has died" mean?
>>>

>>> X had a child. The child died.
>>>
>>> Cf widow: X had a spouse. The spouse died.
>>> orphan: X had a parent. The parent died.

>>> Sebastian