[Lingtyp] 'until' clauses in Africa

Denis Creissels denis.creissels at univ-lyon2.fr
Wed Jan 5 16:11:36 UTC 2022

Dear Jesus Francisco,

'Until getting tired' as a way of expressing 'for a very long time' is pervasive in West African languages, and is also found in local varieties of European languages (for example 'jusqu'à fatigué' in Ivorian French). I know of no general analysis of this construction, but the reason is probably simply that that, syntactically, it behaves like any until-clause.

Note that the West African verbs commonly glossed 'tire' commonly have a wider meaning, including 'bother', 'cause problems'.

Best,

Denis