[Lingtyp] "Super", "superlocative" or 'top' cases outside the Caucasus and Uralic?

Jess Tauber tetrahedralpt at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 00:16:42 UTC 2022

Yahgan (a newly extinct genetic isolate from Tierra del Fuego) has a form
wa:gun (colon : marks tenseness of the vowel preceding it) meaning 'above,
on top (of)' but it isn't a superlocative per se, but still largely
lexical. In fact the termination -vn (v being any vowel influenced by the
root vowel) itself is the generic spatiotemporal locative case mark. Yahgan
has/had an extensive differential case-marking system, but was weak on
differentiating locatives. Wa:gun appears to have still been
grammaticalizing at the time of its recording. vkvhr-wa:gun 'on top of the
house' (v here is schwa, and hr a voiceless alveolar trill) versus
vkvhr-killu: 'under the house'. tu:lar'ua:gun 'on top of the mountain'
(tu:lara 'mountain', tu:laran 'on/at the mountain', ta:sh'u:agun 'on top of
the head' (ta:sha 'head, ta:shan 'on/at the head). 'In' was yvn, containing
ya- 'mouth, leading end/edge (often with an opening)' plus -vn general
locative. It was also not completely grammaticalized, and appeared
unsuffixed to its referent.

Jess Tauber.