[Lingtyp] "Super", "superlocative" or 'top' cases outside the Caucasus and Uralic?

John Peterson jpeterson at isfas.uni-kiel.de
Fri Jul 8 12:00:56 UTC 2022

Dear Jussi,

Perhaps the Konkani (Southern Indo-Aryan) case system given in the table
below would be of interest to you? Best, John

Case

Singular

Plural

Nominative (= direct stem)

_-_

_-_

The following enclitic case markers attach to the oblique stem:

Objective (≈ Accusative / Dative)

_=k_

_=k_

Ergative / Instrumental

_=n_

_=ni_

Inesseive ('in')

_=nt (=n)_ (1)

_=ni_

Superessive ('on')

_=r / =cer_

_=r / =cer_

"Familiessive" ('at the home of')

_=ger_

_=ger_

Ablative

_=san / =sun_

_=cyan / =lyan_

_=san / =sun_

_=cyan / =lyan_

Genitive (general)(2)

_=c-ɔ / =c-i / =c-ɛ̃_

_=l-ɔ / =l-i / =l-ɛ̃_

_=c-ɔ / =c-i / =c-ɛ̃_

_=l-ɔ / =l-i / =l-ɛ̃_

"Kinship genitive" ('belonging to the household of')

_=gɛl-ɔ / =gel-i / =gɛl-ɛ̃_

_=gɛl-ɔ / =gel-i / =gɛl-ɛ̃_

Vocative

_-_

_=no_

Notes:
(1) While the standard form of the inessive singular is _=nt_, it is
often realized as /n/_ _in both speech and writing, resulting in the
total syncretism of the ergative/instrumental and the inessive cases in
both singular and plural.
(2) According to the traditional analysis, the genitive forms with <c>
(realized as /ʧ/ before high front vowels and as /ʦ/ elsewhere) can be
used with all types of nouns, whereas the /l/-forms are only used with
nouns denoting personal names of human possessors, although there are
also exceptions. This requires further study.

Am 08.07.2022 01:08, schrieb Jussi Ylikoski:

> Dear all,
>
> More than a year ago, in the midst of another discussion, I asked about
> something that was never explicitly confirmed or refuted, and I would
> now like to repeat my question (archived at
> https://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/lingtyp/2021-March/008683.html):
>
> - - While many "Super", "superlocative" or 'top' cases can indeed be
> found in Uralic and in the languages of Caucasus (Ossetic
> (Indo-European) included), are there any other corners of the world
> with such specialized cases? In other words, I'm looking for
> morphological case distinctions as seen in the following Finnish word
> pairs:
>
> lipasto-ssa 'in the drawer' vs. lipasto-lla 'on the drawer'
>
> tule-ssa 'in the fire' vs. tule-lla 'on the fire'
>
> mere-ssä 'in the sea' vs. mere-llä 'on the sea'
>
> I'd be happy to locate similar morphological distinctions outside the
> Uralic family and the Causasus region.
>
> (Edit: Frankly, at the time of correcting the proofs of a paper, I'd be
> happy not to locate such cases elsewhere, but the truth must win out.)
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jussi

John Peterson
Linguistik und Phonetik (ISFAS)
Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel
Olshausenstraße 40
D-24098 Kiel
Germany

Tel.: (+49) (0)431-880 2414
Fax: (+49) (0)431-880 7405

http://www.isfas.uni-kiel.de/de/linguistik/mitarbeitende/john-peterson

"Nós temos duas vidas e a segunda começa quando você percebe que você só
tem uma…" (Mário de Andrade)
"We have two lives and the second begins when you realize that you only
have one..."