[Lingtyp] Non-compositional words for “rock-paper-scissors"

Daniel Ross djross3 at gmail.com
Mon May 2 17:07:33 UTC 2022

There might be a better term, but clearly "rock-paper-scissors" is more
literal than "ro-sham-bo". The meaning is somewhat idiomatic regardless (I
think what you're asking about, David), but children sometimes make up
variants with additional or different hand shapes, and so this can be
somewhat productive and compositional (within the idiomatic context as a
name for a game). If you asked a child to play a variant called
"rock-paper-scissors-spaceship" they'd only ask you what the hand shape is
for spaceship and how it interacts with the other shapes (of course these
casual variants can make the game hopelessly unbalanced, if for example
spaceships destroys everything else!), but that seems like compositionality
to me (again, within the context of a name of the game, listing the shapes).