[Lingtyp] pain interjections

Adam Schembri a.schembri at bham.ac.uk
Thu Jan 19 00:22:16 UTC 2023

In the signed language I am most familiar with, Auslan (the majority signed language of the Australian deaf community), either of these two signs (which can also function as verbs/predicates) would be used:
https://auslan.org.au/dictionary/words/ouch-1.html<https://auslan.org.au/dictionary/words/ouch-1.html?fbclid=IwAR3HlElPhXC4rPNg9Uus9ARXTtr1YVCBApr0a7hVbh8TYLbAp2dAoH4AuNY>
https://auslan.org.au/dictionary/words/pain-2.html<https://auslan.org.au/dictionary/words/pain-2.html?fbclid=IwAR2ZK3PnQD8O19YlMHS-nc7Z9XJQdAHYkjSEobYsrF0SKhTfLwQHzUXeieg>
Thanks,
Adam

2023. 1. 18. 오후 1:13, PONSONNET Maia <maia.ponsonnet at cnrs.fr> 작성:

Dear all,

I am starting a study on pain interjections and the phonetic material they are made of.

Before I begin excavating individual lexical resources, I thought I'd put a request to the list.

Would you be able to share the forms of pain interjection(s) in the languages you know?

All I need is the form, with its phonetic transcription and any prosodic information; as well as its semantic scope (is it just pain or does it also express other experiences eg surprise, fear...?). If you can flag a published source where the interjection is documented this is ideal.

Also, if you can point to references containing lists of interjections (eg grammars), this will be extremely useful too.

Many many thanks for your contributions, it is wonderful to be able to rely on such a knowledgeable and generous community.

With kind regards,

Maïa

Maïa Ponsonnet

Chargée de Recherche HDR @ CNRS Dynamique Du Langage

14, avenue Berthelot, 69007 Lyon, FRANCE  -- +33 4 72 72 65 46

Adjunct @ University of Western Australia

+ + + + +

Co-rédactrice en chef du Journal de la Société des Océanistes

https://journals.openedition.org/jso/