[Lingtyp] adverb 'when' used as prepositiom

Jussi Ylikoski jussi.ylikoski at utu.fi
Tue Jul 2 11:39:04 UTC 2024

Dear Arnold, Luc and all,

The following is more like a follow-up instead of an answer to the original question.

In the Unjárga dialect of North Saami (Norway; Uralic), the demonstrative adverbs doppe 'there (static)' and dohko 'there (of movement)' are also used as postpositions meaning 'at (one's place)' and 'to (one's place)', respectively, as in Niillas doppe 'at Nicholas' place' and Niillas dohko 'to Nicholas' place'. But unlike the Romance examples mentioned, the Saami adverbs/postpositions are not interrogatives but demonstratives instead. I have been wondering whether this is common elsewhere.

Best regards,

Jussi