Sign Writting

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Dec 5 21:13:18 UTC 2007

So, I type the sentence in approximate ASL Gloss so that it comes out in the right word order.

  CAT CHAIR SIT ON.

  I don't depend on the translation program doing the job for me.  It is a word-for-word translation program, not an idiomatic translation program.  I have a number of objects that can appear in one order in ASL and another in English.  So I have to do a little work and think in ASL before I try to translate. I'd do the same in Portuguese, French, or Spanish.  It's the same process.

  Example: C'est la vie.  Translated to be "such is life".  C'est is "SUCH IS" la vie is LIFE.  It's not word for word, but concept for concept.

  Charles Butler

Gagnon et Thibeault <atg at videotron.ca> wrote:
  Hi Stuart and everyone,

I agree with you 100%. For example, I type an English sentence : A cat
sits on a chair. I click on Translate button. I read a SignWriting
sentence : CAT SIT ON CHAIR. This ASL sentence is agrammatical. For the
ASL sentence, CHAIR CAT CL-V : SIT-ON-CHAIR. An English ssentence is
diffrent from the ASL sentence.

Hand waving

André