[Sw-l] Six SignWriting Topics, Topic 5, Writing Torso & Body Movement

Ms. AnnaGrace msannagrace20 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 17 13:33:31 UTC 2022

Hi All,

Here is the link to a masterpiece of an ASL performance done by Joe Velez
in 1967. It's "Jabberwocky"
<https://media.gallaudet.edu/media/Gallaudet+Video+Presents+Joe+Velez+in+%22JABBERWOCKY%22/1_tmmxfav2>and
he uses plenty of body movements. I think this would be a good video to
practice most, if not all, SW symbols to decode ASL. (It's best seen with
maximum brightness on your screen.)

"Jabberwocky" is a poem written in English by Lewis Carroll. In both
English and this ASL performance, "Jabberwocky" is not meant to have full
of meaning, but rather as a linguistic exercise in an amusing form. It is
strangely familiar and yet not entirely making sense. That's because the
morphemes are the same yet jumbled while the grammar is present.

I think this performance would be an excellent exercise in ASL SW because
we would write with less bias and with more objectivity on movements,
handshapes, and facial expressions.

Just a thought --

AnnaGrace

sutton at signwriting.org