[Linganth] "Locker room talk"?

Leila Monaghan leila.monaghan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 03:40:16 UTC 2016

Koenraad Kuiper has a piece on “Sporting Formulae in New Zealand English:
Two Models of Male Solidarity” comparing a relatively polite volleyball
game with the abuse that goes on in a rugby locker room.  While he
demonstrates clearly that New Zealand men use feminization to insult each
other, the players do not boast of sexual aggression, just put each other
down in quite graphic ways.  I think the terms of abuse are different
(Americans are more likely to use what CJ Pascoe calls “fag discourse”) but
the effect seems the same.

Can be found on p. 315:
https://www.amazon.com/Cultural-Approach-Interpersonal-Communication-Essential/dp/1444335316/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476242960&sr=8-1&keywords=leila+monaghan

Having said that, one student wrote a paper for me about being ostracized
after he insisted on walking a drunk female friend home because the
fraternity party she was at seemed to be getting out of hand.  He was
called a “cockblocker” for it and pushed out of a friend group.  The
pressures on young men to conform to stereotypical behavior are real.

all best,

Leila

Leila Monaghan, PhD
Publisher, Elm Books