comparison of lifelike drawings, word description and SW -spelling - Grace A

Stefan Woehrmann stefanwoehrmann at GEBAERDENSCHRIFT.DE
Fri Feb 27 21:14:32 UTC 2004

Hi Tini, Valerie and list members,

great to hear from you - and thank you very much for your spelling -
discussion  -

I bet all of us can learn a lot from this -

First of all - it is good to concentrate on writing a given movement - so we
do not discuss different variations of a sign in any SL but just on how to
write the given hand shapes, movements --

(Hi Valerie, Charles, friend from Japan .. remember our wonderful workshop
on video transcription of the Markus evangelium , unfortunately we ended too
soon ...;-)) but I learned a lot from that...)

What is so interesting to me in these spelling discussions is that different
people look and identify different aspects - of the  important parameters -
SW can be written much more precisely - compared to drawings, movies, word
descriptions ...

On the other hand  - ask 5 Deaf native signers and ask them to sign the same
sign and you definitely will find differences in their performance ... that
can be written in SW
Even one and the same signer will perform the same sign on 7 days
differently ... ;-))

Hi Tini -
Look at your attached graphic - lifelike drawing of your Grace(A)  and Grace
(B)

I refer to the Sutton-Symbol-Sequence 2002 - this way you know what hand
shape I am talking about! ( Great job - Valerie!!)

Looking at the description  in words - you get the idea of a hand shape like
SSS 01-05-025 (Oval)  (thumb touching the (=all) fingertips - the drawing on
the other hand looks more like  01- 05 - 020 (Circle)
The explanation says : " The hand seems to take s.th. from God ... )
Therefore - the author thinks obviously of a hinge- movement - which might
end in hand shape - hand shape - 01-05-030  (Angel) ...
(You decided to start with this hand shape ... )

now second phase-

"spreading the fingers and moving down - " - you decided to choose  symbol
01-05-003  (5 Fingers Bent = claw-hand)

well the drawing shows fingers that are not bent ??? perhaps 01 - 05 - 005
(5 Fingers cup) or more likely  01 - 05 - 006 5 Fingers Hinge

what about hand-orientation -

the text says .. "shower it down..." Perhaps the focus could be on back of
hand upside ?? instead of palm facing ?? What do you think??

What about eye gaze ? Both of the signers look straight ahead . but is this
indented or just a matter of how to produce lots of lifelike drawings with a
given set of faces ... ??
I rather would expect an eye gaze diagonal upwards ...

I agree - with Valerie  - I try to avoid additional movement arrows if the
starting position and the end position defines what has to happen to get
there ;-)))
So in this case as well - no additional rotation movement - symbol needed

Perhaps you or other list members are interested to create some other
spellings of this posted - lifelike - drawing with text - illustration - In
the end we will see that it is worth to understand that the best way to
communicate about movement is not a video, a life-like drawing or a
description by words but a spelling with an extraordinary movement writing
system  - like SW -

Have a great day

Stefan;-))

PS -I attached Your illustration once more  ....  Are you interested in a
discussion about your second spelling? Grace B???